Madonna del Bosco, Alfonsine, Ravenna, Emilia Romagna, Italy
||Devotion to the Madonna of the Woods goes back to April 10,
1714, when a falling branch killed a woodcutter in the forest of the
Marquis Spetri. The forest overseer, Matthew Camerani, who witnessed the
accident, took his wife's beloved plaque of the Virgin from their bedroom
and posted it on a tree near the spot in commemoration. As people stopped
there to pray, miracles of healing began to occur. Construction of a
church there began in 1718. The Bishop of Cervia dedicated it to Maria
Vergine della Neve (Virgin Mary of the Snow) on November 21, 1720.
This church was demolished and a new one built in 1928. In August of 1944,
bombs destroyed it, and Alfonsine was on the front line of battle from
December until its liberation on April 10, 1945. The town celebrates its
liberation festa on this date and the patronal celebration of Santa
Maria on the feast of her Nativity, September 8. (Picture and information
from "Santuario della Madonna del Bosco Alfonsine," Alfonsine
più vicina alla Luna che alla Romagna, www.racine.ra.it/orione39;
see also Maria Cecchetti, www.ceramichedevozionali.it.)
Also commemorated this date:
|Basilica of the Assumption, Jerusalem, Israel. Benedictine abbey
church dedicated April 10, 1910, at site of Mary's dormition on Mt.
|Santa Maria delle Vergini, Macerata, Marche, Italy. Apparition,
|Mother of God, Lipljan, Kosovo, Serbia. Icon wept, 2004.|
|Nuestra Señora Inmaculada Concepción, Minas, Lavalleja, Uruguay.
Present temple dedicated April 10, 1892 on site of 1783 parish, now